Born in East L.A and Chapter 5

March 30th, 2009

Davis again leads us into the complexities of LA street life, specifically here in the drug wars, and gang wars which often have more similarities than not. The LAPD is fighting in the gang war as well, but they do not strike at the heart of the matter. Poverty is a leading factor in why youth become involved in gangs. Gangs not only offer protection in a dangerous city, but also give support. By fighting crime, the LAPD is fighting the effects of poverty, but is surely not fighting poverty directly. But as the cops get tougher, the crime only increases. Davis described the LAPD to be much more concerned with power than justice.
Is the LAPD corrupt, or just frustrated in its never ending task?

Born in East LA

Fregoso analyzed the movie in a much more meticulous manner than I. As I watched it I could not bear the use of typical humor to convey the specified political critics. Obviously there would be a hot woman, and obviously everyone would turn their heads. This scene was completely too long, and the point was obvious, and displayed in a less than creative way. Clearly he would get deported to Mexico and do all the stereotypical jobs in order to get across the American boarder. Fregoso may have analyzed excessively a film that was undeserving.

How has this movie changed the way you see the boarder of Mexico and the U.S?