homeowners, and fuck the police

March 23rd, 2009

Davis pointed out the complexities of Homeowners societies, interesting, but daunting. When there are so many differences, the solution seems to be buried and only pieces are found at a time. But Davis compared street people to untouchables in the caste system in India. In India it is a part of their culture, but on the basis of religion. But in LA it is on the basis of fear. As the communities become more homogeneous in race and class, with less contact to the outside it reminds me of the movie “Signs.” The movie is so suspenseful because you do not see an alien until halfway through the movie. The movie makes you scare yourself. Your imagination creates an alien that is much scarier than any costume artist could create. But this actually becomes the case when communities only see each other, and when the media can make any small breaking and entering into a terrifying display of what The Other is capable of.

The next chapter (nearing the end) was one of my favorite readings of the semester. I listen to Ice T, Ice Cube, N.W.A, Public Enemy and LA punk rockers, The Germs, X, NOFX, Black Flag, The gears, Youth Brigade and others. It was a chapter academically saying Fuck the Police, which I loved. Both Punk and hip hop, though totally separate genres of music have similar ideals. A huge emphasis on revolution (usually socialist) and a continuing hope. The destruction of public space would be seen by both as a horrifying display of the power of the elite, which was a category that was entirely off limits to them (due mainly to class and race).

These chapters examined the perverted understandings of the Freedom of Property, and Freedom to assemble.

Does L.A have the right to home owners societies? Are the home owners societies acting outside of their right to organize?